Winter Weather Procedures in Galesburg CUSD #205
The decision to cancel school due to snow, ice, and cold weather conditions is taken seriously at CUSD #205. The district considers several factors before deciding to close school as we understand closing school has an impact on our students, families and staff.
How Does CUSD #205 Communicate Emergency Closure Information?
When a decision is made to close a school due to inclement weather, the District will send automated voice and email messages to all parents via Skylert notification system. Skylert enables the district to communicate with parents and guardians about emergency situations. Please make sure that you update Skyward and/or contact your school with current telephone numbers and email addresses so that you will not miss out on any important communication.
CUSD #205 will also post closure information at www.galesburg205.org, on Facebook and Twitter. If you have downloaded the CUSD #205 app and have allowed for notifications, you will also receive the message through the app.
How Does CUSD #205 decided whether to cancel school?
- Building Condition: Do the buildings have power, light and heat?
- Site Conditions: Is the parking lot plowed? Can buses get in and turn around?
- Bus Operations: Can the bus drivers get to the bus company? Do the buses start, and can buses navigate the roads safely?
- Road Conditions: Are the roads continually plowed and is traffic moving?
- Air Temperature: Temperature (-20° F or colder) and Wind Chill (A wind chill of -35° F is dangerous as exposure for more than 20-30 minutes makes skin susceptible to frostbite).
Student safety is CUSD #205's top priority, but the District also understands cancelling school is inconvenient for students, teacher and parents. The Superintendent will make the decision as soon as safely possible.
As a parent, you have the best perspective to determine the right course of action for your child based on your family circumstances. On severe weather days, you may decide to transport your child to school, or determine that you want to keep your child at home. We know your child's safety is your primary concern and will respect whatever decision you make.
We appreciate your continued support throughout these winter months.